Iconic London locations including the Houses of Parliament, Tower of London and Marble Arch were transformed from landmarks to ‘landbarks’ over the weekend as British dog owners said thank you to the nations 13m dogs for the love and support they’ve provided during the pandemic.
The activity – launched by leading animal supplement brand YuMOVE as part of its #ThankYouDogs campaign – found images of pooches in all shapes and sizes decorating some of the capital’s most recognisable buildings.
In 2020, dogs offered unwavering love, companionship and affection as the nation faced the challenges created by COVID-19.
For their research, YuMOVE asked 1,000 dog owners to bark about how much their dogs meant to them over the last year, revealing:
They brought a smile to our faces when we needed it the most:
- More than half of owners (54%) said that they wouldn’t have smiled in 2020 without their canine companions
- Just under half (42%) said that life would have been unbearable without their beloved pet. Nearly all (87%) said that their relationship with their dog improved in 2020
- A third (31%) confessed that spending quality time with their dog was the highlight of their year
They improved our physical and mental wellbeing:
- Over half of the owners (52%) mentioned that 2020 would have been lonely without their dog
- 61% said that owning a dog gave them a reason to get out of the house to exercise
- 37% claimed walking their dog was their only form of exercise
They gave us a purpose:
- Just under half (41%) of people admitted that their dog gave them a reason to get up in the morning
- 44% said that walking their dog was the highlight of the day
- A third (32%) of people said that dogs stopped them from missing their family and friends
YuMOVE ambassador, Peter Purves, said: “My entire life has been spent alongside dogs and, last year, we needed them more than ever. For so many owners, dogs provided a vital lifeline and played a heroic role during the pandemic. That is why we’re shining the spotlight on them by redecorating these incredible buildings. In 2021, let’s continue to thank our dogs.”
The campaign also supports the incredible efforts of animal charity StreetVet. Dog owners can help by sharing their tall, short and shaggy dog stories across Facebook or Instagram using #ThankYouDogs – and for every story posted, YuMOVE will donate £1 to the charity.
Main image: Three Cavalier King Charles Spaniels projected onto Marble Arch in London by YuMOVE, as part of their #ThankYouDogs campaign. Photo credit: YuMOVE