Hedgehog Awareness Week runs from 2nd to 8th May and to mark the occasion the British Hedgehog Preservation Society (BHPS) is asking people to create a hedgehog haven in their garden.
It takes very little effort to help Britain’s only spiny mammal – now officially classed as vulnerable to extinction – but will make a huge difference to a hedgehog’s life.
There are many things we can do to help hedgehogs – here are a few suggestions:
- Make sure hedgehogs can access your garden with a ‘Hedgehog Highway’ – a 13 x 13cm square gap in the bottom of fences or walls should do it! Once created you can log this on the BIG Hedgehog Map.
- Create a log pile that will offer shelter and natural food.
- Build a Hedgehog Home (find plans at britishhedgehogs.org.uk/hedgehog-homes).
- Move piles of rubbish to a new site on the day you are burning it and check it carefully before setting light to it, lighting from only one side so that there’s an escape route should you have missed anything.
- Check areas carefully before mowing or strimming.
- Ensure netting is kept at a height that allows hedgehogs to pass safely under it.
- Check compost heaps carefully before digging the fork in.
- Stop using pesticides and poisons.
- Cover drains or deep holes.
- Ensure there is an easy route out of ponds & pools.
You could also become a Hedgehog Champion for your area at Hedgehog Street – a project run by BHPS and People’s Trust for Endangered Species – by signing up for free at www.hedgehogstreet.org, with a Hedgehog Street app also available to download.
If you’d like to help BHPS to raise £2,000 during Hedgehog Awareness Week, you can donate to the 2021 #hedgehogweek appeal at: https://www.justgiving.com/campaign/HAW21
Plus, keep an eye on the BHPS social media channels throughout the week for top tips and daily competitions to win hedgehoggy prizes! @hedgehogsociety
This rich, moist blended food complements hedgehogs’ natural diet. It’s now reformulated in line with the latest scientific research, promoting strong bones and healthy teeth while helping hedgehogs boost their energy levels and stay in optimum condition.